Originally published December 2019, updated December 2020.
“For an understanding of the future, look to the past”
Many of the world’s most successful people actively practice self-reflection on a regular basis.
Self-reflection works by asking yourself thought-provoking questions to develop a deeper understanding of yourself (your thoughts, feelings, dreams, motivations, strengths, weaknesses, goals) and your environment (relationships, trends, opportunities).
- You will find yourself remembering key wins and learnings from the past year that would otherwise remain forgotten
- You will find yourself suddenly realising something very important to you has been lacking attention.
- You will understand consciously, maybe for the first time, what makes you happy, and how you can get more of it
We’ve created a custom questionnaire to help you review your 2020, and to start discovering these things for yourself.
Grab a hot drink, put your phone in the other room, and take an hour to complete these 38 questions over the festive season. They can feel tough at times, but that’s where the value is. Write as much as you can, the more you write, the more you learn. An hour invested now can produce massive results in the future.
You might be surprised by what you discover.
2020 End of Year Self-Reflection Questionnaire
- What 10 things are you most grateful for this year?
- What were your 5 biggest accomplishments this year?
- What made you happiest this year?
- What made you saddest this year?
- What was your best moment? Why?
- What was your worst moment? Why?
- What are you most proud of this year?
- What 10 things have you learned this year?
- What were you most afraid of this year, and was it as bad as you imagined?
- Did you set goals for this year, and did you achieve them?
- Is there a memory from this year that you keep playing over in your mind?
- What do you wish you’d done more of?
- What do you wish you’d done less of?
- What was the best new place you visited? Why?
- Which 3 people did you most enjoy spending your time with?
- What compliment did you receive this year that really stuck with you?
- What was a new discovery you made this year?
- What achievement are you most proud of from this year?
- What was a new habit or routine you created this year that has improved your life?
- What did you face head on this year rather than avoiding it?
- What did you ask for help with this year and were glad you did?
- What relationship was the biggest positive surprise to you this year?
- Who do you need to thank for their role in your life this year?
- Which existing relationship in your life deserves more attention?
- What was a goal for the year that you nailed?
- What's a goal you gave up on this year and why?
- What did you change your mind about this year?
- What 5 things did you discover about yourself this year?
- What did you try that didn't work out, and what did you learn from it?
- How has your perception of yourself changed this year?
- What were your 3 biggest failures in the past year?
- What 5 lessons can you learn from these failures?
- What do you wish you had done differently in the past year?
- What 5 new skills/strengths have you developed?
- What are the 5 most important lessons that you learned?
- What are 5 things that you will start doing in the next 12 months?
- What are 5 things that you will stop doing in the next 12 months?
- What are 5 things that you will continue doing in the next 12 months?
- What are your top 10 highlights of the past year?